Miss Lynch English Group
Week Commencing 1st Feburary 2021
Please find this week's spellings in a document below along with a chart to help you practise.
Don't forget to test your child each Friday!
Monday 1st February 2021
Learning objective (title for books): L.O: To use commas instead of ‘and’ when writing a list
1. Complete the grammar warm up activity sheet.
I’ve included the answer sheet so that you can check answers afterwards.
2. Go through the presentation.
3. Complete 'Commas to the rescue' (don't feel you have to complete the sheet if its taking a long time) and 'Sentence of Three' activity sheets.
Tuesday 2nd February 2021
Learning objective (title for books): To retell a story from memory (using a story map).
Read and enjoy the story in the PowerPoint below...
Next, we will learn to tell the story from memory by creating our own story map. We did this on 13.1.21 during our 'How Coyote Brought Fire to the Earth' unit so you should be great at it.
Create your very own story map for 'The Day the Crayons Quit' to help you remember the key events. You need a simple drawing for each key moment in the story and use arrows to sequence your story clearly. See my example below...
Finally, use your story map to retell the story of 'The Day the Crayons Quit' to a parent/carer. Your story map should help you to remember exactly what happens in the right order.
Wednesday 3rd February 2021
Learning objective (title for books): To write a retell of the story - 'The Day the Crayons Quit.'
Steps to success:
- Use your story map to help you.
- Write the story in your own words.
- Check spellings
- Capitals and full stops
- Commas in lists (eg. The red crayon is tired from colouring fire engines, apples, love hearts and strawberries.)
- Apostrophes for contractions (eg. doesn't, it's, he's, Duncan's)
- Use time words to write the story in order (eg. First, Next, Suddenly, Later, Finally)
- Use conjunctions (eg. and, but, so, because, however)
- Write at least a side of A4
- Beautiful handwriting (join some letters if you can)
- Write in your homework book or on the writing paper in the file below.
Thursday 4th February 2021
Learning objective (title for books): To use commas accurately in lists.
See the worksheet about colours in the file below. Complete the sentences using commas in a list. An example has been done for you at the top of the page. Use 'The Day the Crayons Quit' PowerPoint to help you think of objects/things that are each colour.
Friday 5th February 2021
Today is 'St. Peter's Mental Health Day'. All activities are on our main class page!